10. Monsters University - Now I really liked the first Monsters Inc film and I really wanted to go back to the world created. I thought that a straight sequel would be made but I feel that a prequel to the film is a much more interesting way to go. The title and premise itself of a university teaching monsters how to scare is funny enough on it's own and it'll be great to see all of the different aspects of Uni life done in this film.
9. Elysium - Now this is a film that really intrigues me. First of all I really want to see how Neil Blomkamp can top District 9 and see how he can create a sci-fi world as good as the one he created in District 9. I also want to see how the class politics will be portrayed in the film, especially after the re-election of Obama this year. Overall I just want to see how this film will turn out in the long run and if it'll be as good as or even better than District 9.
8. Man of Steel - Now I was not actually looking forward to this film for a long while. I've never been a fan of Superman and I didn't see how it could be translated to modern times. Then I saw the most recent trailer and I instantly wanted to see it. The way it portrays the power of Superman seriously looks to be interesting, Michael Shannon looks to be an excellent baddie as General Zod and it has Richard Schiff (aka Toby Ziegler from The West Wing, one of my favourite TV characters) in it. Really looking forward to this now.
7. Thor: The Dark World - This is a film that I want to see just to see how they can top the first film. The first film set up the high fantasy world, Avengers Assemble raised it higher and now I want to see how this film can raise it higher again. With the excellent returning cast, some great new additions (like Christopher Eccleston) and a director who really knows how to take fantasy seriously with regular director for Game of Thrones, Alan Taylor, this looks set to be a great sci-fi film.
6. The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug - After watching the first Hobbit film, I am really looking forward to this film. I'm interested to see how all of the additions made to the plot from the first film get continued in this film, I want to see more of Martin Freeman as Bilbo Baggins and I want to see Benedict Cumberbatch as both Smaug and the Necromancer, especially Smaug to see Freeman and Cumberbatch play off of each other again like they did in Sherlock. That alone makes me excited for this film.
5. Star Trek Into Darkness - Speaking of Cumberbatch, I am really looking forward to seeing this film and after seeing the first 9 minutes of the film in front of The Hobbit, my hopes were raised higher. The cast look to be raising the bar in their performances, Cumberbatch looks really creepy as the villain and I want to see the interesting places that JJ Abrams could take the Star Trek series.
4. Pacific Rim - What can I say other than it has giant robots, giant monsters, Glados and Idris Elba shouting that he will cancel the apocalypse. The film just looks brilliant.
3. Iron Man 3 - I was already really looking forward to this film before seeing the trailer, simply because it's an Iron Man film which reunites Robert Downey Jr and Shane Black after the brilliant Kiss Kiss Bang Bang. After the trailer released however, my anticipation for this film went through the roof. The action scenes look incredible, the acting is on fine form and I'm really intrigued over whether the 10 Rings of Power will play a role in the film. Should be a great way for Marvel to follow up the brilliance of Avengers Assemble.
2. Kick-Ass 2 - Now I loved the first Kick-Ass film and I have been waiting for this sequel for a long time. Just seeing Aaron Johnson, Christopher Mintz-Plasse and especially Chloe Grace Moretz reprise their roles for this film will be a joy to watch and I really want to see how the new characters and the character development for the returning characters will be handled. Plus, the film is said to be more violent than the first one and considering how violent the first film was, I really want to see what will happen in this one.
1. The World's End - Seriously, what else could it have been. It's the conclusion to the Three Colours Cornetto trilogy, Simon Pegg, Nick Frost and Edgar Wright all working with each other again for the first time in 6 years. Just that would have put the film at the top but this combined with the excellent premise of the film just cements it in the position. I cannot wait for this film to come out.
- Oz: The Great and Powerful
- Much Ado About Nothing
- The Great Gatsby
- Ender's Game
- Warm Bodies
Next up are my 10 favourite film scenes of 2012.
Post a Comment