4 February 2011

Happy Birthday Pixar

Yesterday celebrated the 25th Anniversary of Pixar Animation Studios. The only film studio to have never made a bad film, even their worst films are still good. To celebrate this occasion I thought that it would be best to talk about my own personal experiences with Pixar, so lets start.
For me Pixar will always hold a special place in my heart due to Toy Story 2 being the first film I ever watched in the cinema when I was 4 years old. From then on I have enjoyed every Pixar film released, not one of them has been bad. Monsters Inc, Finding Nemo and The Incredibles were great. Cars was just an okay film but has some great appeal to car fans in the UK due to Jeremy Clarkson, host of Top Gear, being the voice of Marv. Pixar went back to greatness with Ratatouille and, my personal favorite Pixar film, WALL-E. WALL-E had some of the greatest characters in animation with WALL-E and EVE and fully demonstrates that movement and sound effects can make a great character and fully shows Pixar's art with visual storytelling. I would actually like Pixar to make a film with no dialogue, express the mood through the visuals and music, I'm sure Pixar can pull that off. After WALL-E came up and Up fully shows my previous point that Pixar can pull of visual and musical storytelling with no dialogue. The married life montage in Up is one of the saddest things I have ever seen in the cinema and is one of the few times that I have ever cried while watching a film, all shown through the visuals and the incredible music, Michael Giaccino deserved the Oscar he won for Up. Most recently there was Toy Story 3, which was a perfect cap to the trilogy, Pixar do not make another Toy Story film, finish the series with 3, the ending of Toy Story 3 was incredible and moving and fully rounds off the story of Andy, you do not need to make another Toy Story film. Soon Pixar is going to go into live action for the first time with John Carter of Mars directed by Andrew Stanton, director of WALL-E, and if Pixar can pull of the same level of incredible storytelling in their animated films in this, then it will be an incredible film indeed. Happy 25th Birthday Pixar, may you continue making great films to Infinity and Beyond.

No comments:

Post a Comment